Part I Lake Effect Basics
The three factors normally needed to form precipitation include (1) sufficient moisture, (2) lifting mechanism, and (3) instability. Lake effect snow forms when a cold air mass (cP, mP, or cA) moves over a relatively warm lake surface. This creates and/or enhances these three factors by:
(1) As cold (and possibly dry) air moves over the warm lake, some water evaporates modifying the air mass. (This can be important for lake effect snow over the Great Lakes, but is less important over the Great Salt Lake.)
(2) When the lake is warmer than the surrounding cold land a temperature difference is created. This temperature difference creates a pressure difference. This pressure difference causes air to move together toward the center of the lake. This is called Thermal Convergence. As the air converges it rises, creating a lifting mechanism.
(3) When a cold air mass moves over the warm lake a steep lapse rate is created. Steep lapse rates indicate an unstable atmosphere.
This video gives a brief overview of how lake effect snow forms over the Great Lakes:
Part II Great Salt Lake Effect Snow
Similar processes occur over the Great Salt Lake. However, because the Great Salt Lake (GSL) is much smaller than the Great Lakes, its lake effect tend to be less severe and less frequent. But at times it can still create heavy snowfall in northern Utah.
Recent research at the University of Utah has improved the techniques used to forecast GSL effect snow:
Based on the article above, answer the following questions:
1. What two times of year is GSL effect snow most frequent?
2. What time of day is GSL effect snow most frequent?
3. The authors identified two key factors in forecasting GSL effect snow: (lake-700mb) temperature difference and (850-700mb) relative humidity. How do these two factors combine to determine the probability of GSL effect snow? (Hint: describe the graph that plots both of the factors.)
Part III Forecasting GSL Effect Snow
Based on the research above, the authors created a forecasting tool that includes (lake-700mb) temperature difference, (850-700mb) relative humidity, 700mb wind direction and speed, and 700-500mb lapse rate to create a probabilistic forecast of GSL effect snow. You can take a look at the tool here (it updates real time):
Another method forecasters use are check lists. Here is a check list forecasters use for forecasting GSL effect snow:
Now, you will be the forecaster!
Use the following weather maps to help you forecast the likelihood of GSL effect snow:
4. Using the maps above, find the value of ALL of the factors below at 6pm (the current time) AND 6am (the next morning). Describe how the value or character of each changes throughout the evening.
a. Wind Direction and Speed
b. Wind Direction change from surface to 700mb
c. Lake surface temperature
d. 700mb temperature
e. Lake surface-700mb temperature difference
f. 850-700mb relative humidity (hint: look at Discussion “IL-8 Calculating relative humidity from stuve diagram”)
g. Location of surface low
h. Location of 700mb trough
5. Based off the data you collected in Question 4, what do you think the likelihood is for Great Salt Lake Effect snow in the Salt Lake Valley during the night?
6. How many snowplows do you think UDOT should keep out overnight for the Salt Lake Valley (between 0 and 25)? Why did you choose this number?
Now, let’s see what happened! Take a look at the radar imagery for the evening, and read the precipitation summary:
7. Did your lake effect forecast verify? What do you think went wrong or right with your forecast?
8. Do you think you chose the right number of snowplows for the Salt Lake Valley on this night? Why or why not?
9. Describe at least three reasons why weather forecasting is challenging.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.